Saturday, September 15, 2012

NewsDream

the-newsroom_b&wI caught the 2nd or 3rd episode of “Newsroom” many moons ago on HBO. I was intrigued by Aaron Sorkin’s writing as I was when his “West Wing” was on the video waves. Obviously, if you’ve read anything I’ve written, our views are diametrically opposed. Nevertheless, I appreciate good writing and the creation of characters that are more than skin deep.Aaron-Sorkin-The-Newsroom_Adj

Sorkin has a staccato style that I think more mirrors reality than his critics give him credit for. When people are familiar with one another, especially in a work environment, there’s a type of tribal communication that eventually takes hold and much is communicated with very few words. I like the way this is captured and exists in every relationship.

So I returned to Episode 1, (shout out to HBOGO), and seamlessly caught up on Season 1 in the proper chronological order. I then took up the weekly viewing on Sunday evening or in the subsequent days through activating my blessed PVR. While I thoroughly enjoyed the characters being developed, their interplay, their dialogue, I was, perhaps to a greater degree, thoroughly annoyed, by the unbridled liberal dogma. In the final episode of the season it turned into a tasteless, totally predictable, stream of propaganda for the left and the associated Democratic Party.

Cast_Leibovitz

Olivia-Munn-bikini-GQ-UK-August-2012_ADjNow to a great degree I expect this from Sorkin. On the other hand I don’t. If Munnthat’s all it was I would never have watched it at all. On the West Wing there were some issues that were at least wrestled over and both sides brought to light. It didn’t matter that the fictitious administration almost always came down on the left side of the tracks; at least there was an agreement on the problems that face the country and/or the people. And in the end it was simply a difference of vision. That is not what the Newsroom has become.

THE-NEWSROOM-Emily-Mortimer-Jeff-DanielsIn one of the opening dialogues Will (main character) is asked in a College auditorium what he thinks is great about America. He goes into a long dissertation on why American is not the greatest nation on earth then follows up with many great things in America’s past.EmilyMortimer-adj

While I don’t agree with which items are on which side of the list, at least it’s not a blanket negative condemnation of America. And basically that is what follows. A blind, relentless rejection of everything Republican and praise for all that is left wing.

JeffandAaronSo I heard that Sorkin had said that he didn’t know much about politics and was going to have a Republican consultant for Season 2. I don’t know whether he said it or not but if he did it’s a bunch of BS. Clearly Sorkin is well versed in the political issues of this day and the context of the show is to reestablish the historical contribution a supposed objective Newsroom provided in the last generation. So I don’t buy that, especially on the heels of West Wing. And second, why hire a Republican consultant?; no way it’s an admission of not being fair and balanced. I may watch the beginning of the second season to see if the trend continues or abates. But like Glee’s endless drumming about the Gay universe I can only bear so much to enjoy the trappings of the music. And the magic words of Sorkin are lovely icing but not to be eaten on a soiled cake.

newsroom-ad-1024x6121

No comments: